Archive for July, 2010



Concord Free Public Library


Edited by Marcia Moss

Originally published as:

Thoreau Society Booklet 28

The Thoreau Society

Geneseo, New York


Henry David Thoreau, surveyor, made over one hundred and fifty land surveys in Concord and vicinity.

Some of these are in their final form.

Some mere fragments or quick surveys.

From 1849, measurements for all were recorded by Thoreau in his Field Notes Book when he made them so that he could interpret them later when he was making his drawings.  In his Field Notes, he kept a list of supplies that he bought and other surveying expenses, as well as the fees that he charged and collected. He also recorded there some of the rules that he used in surveying.

The Concord Free Public Library or the Concord Antiquarian Society owns most of the instruments that he used in his work. The Antiquarian owns his ink well, his surveyor’s chain, and at least three of his surveys, which are on display, near the furniture from his house at Walden.

The compass and tripod, wooden surveyor’s arrows, right angles of wood and metal, pencils and pen, protractor and a small roll of surveyor’ s cloth are displayed at the concord Free Public Library.

Miss Sophia E. Thoreau. A sister of gave Most of these items and the surveys to the Library, as we can see from the Following excerpts from the Town Reports of Concord, Massachusetts, March 1874-1875 and March 1876-77. “Miss Sophia E. Thoreau has deposited in the iron safe of the Library building the unpublished manuscripts of her brother, Henry D. Thoreau. They fill three trunks or boxes. One contains a complete survey of almost every farm in town, which will be of great value in the future in regard to the boundary lines of different estates, especially so when we consider the established accuracy of Mr. Thoreau’s surveys and measurements. Miss Sophia Thoreau has given a gift of maps and surveys to the Library.”

The Thoreau Society has photographically reproduced all of the surveys belonging to the Concord Free Public Library to aid in their preservation. The reproductions were made by peter Orlando of Concord. The Boston Photo Service, Inc. has taken personal interest in the making of this catalog.

Henry and John Thoreau, his brother, had shown an early interest in surveying for around 1838, they had bought some surveying instruments for use in their School. Edward Emerson, son of Ralph Waldo Emerson, mentions that Dave” as he irreverently called Henry, taught him to survey when he was a student. After John’s death in 1842, Henry kept using the instruments and bought more for this new vocation of surveying for which he was so well suited in many ways.

In his Journal of November 4, 1852 he said: “Must be out – of- doors enough to get experience of wholesome reality as a ballast to thought and sentiment. Health requires this relaxation, this aimless life. This life in the present. Let a man have thought what he will of nature in the house, so will still be novel outdoors. I keep out of doors for the sake of the mineral, vegetable, and animal in me.”

Thoreau was also qualified as a surveyor as he knew Concord and the surroundings well, he loved nature and walking, he was very accurate because he took pride in his work of any kind, and he had mathematical Knowledge and an interest in the technical aspects; He was studious and researched rules and methods of other surveyors in Concord. At one time, he had a broadside printed up advertising himself as “H. D. Thoreau, surveyor”.  We know too, that in 1852 when Walling made his map of Concord, Thoreau was listed as “Civil Engineer” in the notes. Not long before he died, Thoreau was appointed Town Surveyor for Concord.

On August 11, 1852, Thoreau records in his Journal: “Alcott says I should survey Concord and put down every house exactly as it stands with the name.” In fact, Alcott kept talking about the proposed atlas and went so far as to suggest in his now famous Superintendent of Schools Report of 1860 and 1861, that Thoreau should make an illustrated Atlas for use in the community and the schools. Unfortunately, Thoreau died before he could accomplish this, but his surveys and Field Notes book have been kept together in the Library and have often been used by people to identify ownership of Concord land.

Thoreau had various jobs as a surveyor such as the subdividing of woodlots and the, Ministerial lots for the sale of the wood and the privately owned lots into smaller ones for housing. Many times it was necessary for him to retrace boundaries as ancient as two hundred years old. The earliest mention which we have of his woodlot surveying is a signed receipt from the Misses Hosmer for surveying of their woodlot and making a plan of the same dated Dec. 18, 1845. However, we do not have the survey itself. This plan was made before he started keeping his Field Notes in 1849 with the brief notes on the survey for Isaac Watt’s. They continue on up to December 1860

We know that Thoreau had tried many other ways of earning money from building a woodshed at the Kettle place to white washing and painting a house, to sending huckleberries to Boston to be sold, as well as designing and building at least six fences.  One was a common slat fence for one dollar a rod.

In some cases he had to identify lane bounds so that he could present evidence of ownership to the disputing parties, and thus act as an arbitrator helping to settle a boundary dispute without going into a court case. Estates had to be Settled and the widows and lawyers asked Thoreau to check their lines. His townspeople trusted his judgment, too, as in the case of Charles Bartlett. The busy man couldn’t go into the woods when Thoreau was ready to check his bound in order to settle a dispute with Emerson, so he asked Thoreau to go ahead, find the necessary corrections and make them alone.

Large areas of farmland were bought up by men like J. B. Moore, business property for firms such as the Mill Dam Company, the large enterprise at Factory Village in West concord, and even cemetery lot s had to be measured and recorded.

Thoreau kept busy with related varied problems. He set up the field for the Plowing Contest at the Middlesex County Fair held in Concord. He designed a piston and a cow’s stanchion with a cow’s head sticking out.  He even drew plans for a beautiful fence for Cyrus Stow’s renovated house on Walden Street, which is now the Concord Home for the Aged.

Thoreau played an important role with the railroad people by laying out the street from the Academy Lane to the Depot and with the townspeople by surveying for Bedford Street and Bedford Road from Monument Street to within four miles of the Bedford line.

When the Court House burned in 1849, and when the Town House was built in 1851, Thoreau was asked to survey the abutters and also to measure the cellar for the new building.  He was personally Interested in this site as his father had worked in the yellow store Which had stood there before it was bought by the Stow family And moved to Walden Street where it finally became part of the Reynolds-Everett-Tuttle house on the corner of Everett Street and Walden. The Keyes building on the same site was sold by Keyes to the Town, was bought back, and moved onto Monument Street to become the home of Madam Keyes, and is now a store.

James B. Wood, a Concord lumberman, knew Thoreau very well and used to have him survey his woodland for him and paid him three dollars a day. Wood found Thoreau was “always very pleasant, talkative, and ingenious.” Wood says that when it grew dark one evening when they were surveying, Thoreau set his compass and took a tallow candle and match from his pocket. He lit the candle and gave it to Wood to put on top of the last bound And so finished the work so that they would not have to go again another day.

Thoreau had a different version of the incident though, as he recorded in his Field Notes book for that day: “The distance can be relied upon. The last two bearings are useless being taken after dark.”

Thoreau used common sense about the accuracy of each plan checking the finished detail in each case as to what information was required.His study of the depths of Walden Pond itself has become one of his best-known surveys.

Complete detailed studies like those of Factory Village, and Marcus Spring’s Complex in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, took more time and skill. His sketches of the Shattuck and Thoreau Aunts’ plots on the Square Shed light on what the Colonial Inn looked like then.

The largest and most descriptive survey is the River Project made for the Sudbury and East Sudbury Meadow Corporation in their controversy with the Middlesex Canal owners in 1860.  He found data concerning the depth of water in the Concord River at each bridge from Wayland to Billerica, made a detailed table showing the date of erection and subsequent changes of each bridge on the river from Sudbury to Billerica, and what the underpinnings were made of, and what the water level was at each bridge at various times. The work involved in getting this information together from men in other towns, and presenting it in a logical form at the trial shows that he willingly cooperated with others in a good cause. The Library still has the letters and notes from this project.

Relief from the monotony and hard work of surveying, he found by sketching onto the plans pictures of animals drinking from culverts beside the road he was laying out, or picturing a house and barn, or noting were he had seen a certain rare bird’s nest, or some strange land formation.

Although he really wished to be a lecturer instead, he showed self-discipline and accepted the jobs as a surveyor.  As he said: “I can get surveying enough, which a hundred others in the county can do as well as I, though it is not boasting much to say that a hundred others in New England cannot lecture as well as I on my themes.”

When Bronson Alcott went to Plymouth to visit Marston Watson at his large Nursery, he suggested that Watson invite Thoreau down to lecture and to survey the Watson property.  Of course Thoreau went, and he even got Alcott to help with the surveying.  Thoreau traveled as far as Pert Amboy, New Jersey, too, as Alcott suggested to the owner, of Eagleswood Marcus Spring, that Thoreau was the man for the job of surveying there.

He enjoyed going to Haverhill, as he points out in his journals, for he made friends as well as money.  Similarly, he made trips to Billerica, Littleton, Framingham, Bedford, Carlisle, Lincoln and Acton. These trips must have been tedious and time consuming when one considers the mode of travel.  Even in Concord, he had to plan ahead to borrow a horse and wagon to carry his surveying party and equipment to the edge of the woods, then walk miles from there in all kinds of weather while surveying such areas as the Town Bounds of the surrounding towns.

Thoreau’s surveys were useful and accurate when they were made years ago with their crude but basic instruments, and today local surveyors say that his work is still considered reliable and accurate in spite of all the modernization of present survey equipment.  There have been several surveys done of Walden Pond in the last few years, but the results have not proven Thoreau wrong in his conclusions made from a cod line and a stone weighing about a pound and a half.

He was a surveyor.


Of All Kinds, according to the best

Methods known; the necessary data supplied,

in order that the boundaries of

Farms may be accurately described in Deeds;

Woods plotted off distinctly and According to a regular plan; Roads laid

Out, &c ..&c.  Distinct and accurate

Plans Of Farms furnished with the buildings

Thereon, of any size and with a scale of feet

Attached, to accompany the Farm Book, so

That the land may be laid out in a winter evening.

Areas warranted accurate within almost

Any degree of exactness, and the variation of the compass given,

So that the lines can be run again.

Apply to





Acton/Concord Town Line.  September 30, 1851.  North­west part of Concord.  This survey shows Damon’s Factory, farms of John Brown, John Hosmer, Joseph Derby, Harrington, Samuel Lees, as well as Fort Pond Brook, and roads to Stow, South Acton, and Main Street in the western part of Concord.  Thoreau had perambulated part of this area before as he had checked the boundary markers for the Town of Concord, September 15, 1851.

Alcott, Amos Bronson.  September 22, 1857.  This estate (Orchard House) of 12 acres and 66 rods is still on Lexington Road.  On September 23, 1857, Alcott wrote a letter from Concord to Mrs. Alcott in Boston in which he said: “The Orchard is sur­veyed and Thoreau promises to give us the plot fair and finished to the acres and rods, all lined and bounded, tomorrow.”

Badger; (W.P.L. ?).  The Library owns no survey, but a note in the Field Notes Book indicates that he surveyed land around the Chapin cottage for Badger, October 28, 1852.  He lived on the south side of Main Street opposite where Elm Street leaves Main.

Baker, Jacob.  April 23 and 24, 1852.  These Lincoln acres were called Pleasant Meadow, and contained 8 acres of chestnut woodlot located near Flint’s Pond, and the home of Nathaniel and John Billings on Old Concord Road.  This woodlot was cut in 1852 according to Thoreau’s Field Notes.

Baker, James.  1857.  (See Rufus Morse and John Richardson survey).

Barrett, Prescott.  June 10, 1859.  He resided on Barrett’s Mill Road west of Spencer Brook, and these sixteen acres were nearby.  Thoreau remarked that the whole area had belonged to Peter Temple in 1811, and part was sold to Jonathan Hildreth and part to Stephen Barrett.  The List of Bills in the Field Notes shows a bill for $2.5O for this date.

Barrett, Samuel.  December 6, 1851.  This six acres woodlot near Annursnack Hill, had formerly belong­ed to the Lorings, and was sold to George Brooks. The bill for the survey was $3.00.  People men­tioned on the survey are Prescott Barrett, Bill­ings, and Easterbrook.

Bates, Caleb.  December 22, 1857.  18 acres and 88 rods of woodland located between Walden Street and Cambridge Turnpike, later owned by Heartwell Bigelow.  Caleb had a farm on Bedford Street near the Bedford line.  Sherman Barrett bought it later. This survey was probably made to settle the estate of Heartwell Bigelow who had died in 1850 leaving a widow whom Thoreau helped.

Bedford Road.  1850-1859.  On June 13, 1850, Thoreau made a survey of the Court House and adjacent lots (Town House), and started to help widen the Street to the Burying Ground from Main Street to the New Hill Burying Ground (the first section of the present Sleepy Hollow Cemetery), and from Monument Street to the same spot.  Also, in July of 1853, and February 1, 1854, he made extensive surveys, which show the Middlesex Agricultural Society, Reuben Brown’s farm with its Sleepy Hollow, and all of the existing houses to the Charles Gordon and William Pedrick farms on Old Bedford Road to Bedford.  May 3, 1859, he made a survey of Moore’s Swamp,1 now erroneously called Moses’ Swamp, for which he was paid $5.00 by George Brooks for the Town.  This group shows all of the owners of land in the areas, and identifies the location of the Universalist Meeting House, the Gun House, the Agricultural Society, and Pine Plain.

Benjamin, Cyrus. Bill for $3.00 noted in the Field Notes Book. Cyrus Benjamin was the son-in-law of William Heywood whose house is still standing next west of the Concord Free Public Library on Main Street. James Barrett Wood owned it until 1970.

Bigelow, Heartwell.  December 25, 1857, and November 22, 1858.  Thoreau made surveys for Mrs. Bigelow of a woodlot near Walden Street east of the present Fairyland, and of the old woodlot that had be­longed to Caleb Bates, Senior.  Mrs. Bigelow’s name appears on the surveys of Ebby Hubbard and Abel Brooks.

Brooks, Abel.  December 29, 1857.  3 acres 58 rods of woodlot near Mrs. Bigelow and Ebby Hubbard. Mr. Brooks lived on Sudbury Road on the south side between Stow and Devens Streets.  Thoreau remarked that he found it easy to do this survey as Brooks had worn a path around it as he walked the bounds each day.  The lot was on Walden Street near Brister’s Hill.

Brooks, Noah and Joshua.  May 26, 28, 29, and 31, 1852.  This Lincoln farm of 175 acres was on the north and south sides of Great Road or the present 2A near the Concord line.  This plan shows the location of part of the land of Emilius J. Leffelman, on Virginia Road, Asa White, Aaron Brooks, Levi Brooks, and William Rice, which was bought by Samuel Hartwell.

Brooks, Thomas.  Lincoln woodlot made June 5, 1858. George Brooks of Concord paid Thoreau $4.00 for this.  See also Samuel Barrett’s woodlot, and Bedford Road survey for George Brooks.  This wood­land was burned over in 1857.

Brown, James P.  Dec. 19-21, 1853.  Concord woodlot sold to William Wheeler.  Mr. Brown lived near Nut Meadow Brook, and Thoreau laid out a road near his house for the town and received the sum of $4.00 according to the Town Report of 1851-2.

Brown, Reuben.  October 20, 21, 22, 1851.  Fair Haven Hill, which had been known as “Springwoods” of Abel Heywood.  Var  [Magnetic Variation] 93/4 at 8 a.m.  Scale 10 rods to an inch.  Size of paper 14 x 20.  This is thought to be the land near the shores of Fair Haven and Well Meadow Brook that was partly burned over by Henry’s famous fire in 1844.  Reuben also owned land on Bedford Road that was known as Sleepy Hollow and became part of the present Cemetery.

Brown, Wm. D.  April 12,1858. Acton woodlot near Damon’s Factory.  Part of this lot was cut during 57-58, and the lot was sold to R. Warner. Thoreau was paid $3.00 for this.

Bryant, Turner.  January 18, 1853.  Thoreau traveled to Stow to make this survey for Mr. Hale whose family owned land on the Concord-Carlisle Road in 1852 according to the survey of Humphrey Hunt’s land.

Buttrick, Stedman.  April 18, 1859.  Acton Woodlot in the South part of the town sold to Sumner Blood.

Carlisle Boundary Line between Concord and Carlisle proposed by Thoreau.  December 1851.  There had been a lot of controversy about this line for years.  The Town Report for 1851-2 says that Henry was paid $42.00 for setting this line.

Channing, William Ellery.  April 26, 1852.  Concord houselot on Main Street formerly owned by John Keyes and adjacent to MacKay’s lot.  The house was moved up Main Street and across the street near Love Lane.  It was occupied for many years by the Misses Rood, and is now owned by the Roberts family.  The survey is owned by the Thoreau Lyceum.

Clark, D. B.  Field Note Book says Thoreau was paid $2.50 for making this survey which is now the property of Miss Gladys Clark of Concord.

Colburn, General James.  November 6, 1854.  This farm was called Homestead and was near the Lee or Elwell Farm bordering on North River and contained about 130 acres.  Thoreau spoke of a “haunted house” in this area.

Concord,  West Burying Ground.  August 30, 1850. Thoreau was asked by John Keyes to find two sides of the cemetery by running the lines of the Old Hurd Place,  the so-called Block House now on Lowell Road, and the line of the Bank further East on Main Street.  This was probably to de­termine where the iron fence from the Old Court House was to be placed around the Burial Ground. Thoreau received $1.00 March 1, 1851 according to the Town Report.

Boundary Line between Concord and Carlisle. December 1851.  Scale of 50 rods to an inch. Var. 9 7/8.  This shows the relation of a line A B continued to the boundary lines and homes taking the black from the Map of Concord, the red from original observations coinciding with the map and line A B.  The map shows Kibbe Place, Westford Road, Carlisle Road, Old Carlisle Road, Cedar Swamp, Perez Blood, F. Devens, J. Hodgman, J. Mason, and S. Conant.  This line was disputed for years before and after Thoreau.

Boundaries of Eight Towns around Concord made for Rhodes, October 1, I860.   Including: Concord, Carlisle, Lincoln, Boxborough, Acton, Littleton, Stow, and Bedford for a total of 127.49 square miles.

Perambulating lines between Acton and Concord. September 15, 1851.  Thoreau had to move a stone at the Powder Mill and he mentions in the Field Notes Book that-Thoreau was paid $1.50 by the Town. The Town Report of 1850-51 mentions that Thoreau was paid $18.00 for perambulating the town lines and erecting the stones at Acton and Bedford lines.

Proposed Street to Depot.  September 185O.  Length 30″ x Width 21″.  In 1844 when the railroad was opened in Concord, Thoreau was asked to suggest the route of a new street from the corner of Main and Sudbury Road to the Depot so he drew up this proposal of several alternatives.  The one that was chosen is the present Middle Street and re­quired the moving of the Concord Academy Building from the spot where Academy Lane and Middle Street meet.  We have several sketches for this area. One shows the land of Wetherbee on Belknap Street which became the property on which the old Davis Store from Main Street came to rest, and was occupied by William Barrett, 1859-1898.

Cow Barn.  See Loring, David.

Damon, Edward.   Factory site in West Concord called Factory Village on the Assabet River near the Acton Line.  There are several sketches of this area one of which we have already covered under the Acton/Concord Town Line. The close-up of the factory is one of Thoreau’s best surveys.  There is no date on it, but he recorded in his Journal for May 6, 7, 13, 14, and 16, 1859 that he had been at Damon’s.  Thoreau was paid $36.OO for this survey. This factory made satinet, white wool ‘flannel and domet flannel.  It was badly gutted by fire in 1862, but was rebuilt, and can still be seen in part on Route 62 almost to the Acton line.

Davis, Elijah.  January 1853.  Acton woodlot sold to LeGrosse (see).

Duncan, James H.  April 12, 1853.  Little River Lot (so called), Haverhill, Mass.  Thoreau left Concord April 11 and stayed there most of the month trying to make some money to pay off some debts.

Duren, George F.  March 5, 1856.  Woodlot belonging to S. and H. Jones, relatives of Dr. Jones of Concord and being sold for taxes.  According to the Field Notes Book, Duren’s men chained the survey “rudely” and the sketch of it shows this eight and one-half acres lot to be near John LeGrosse, J. D. and William Brown, probably in the North­west part of Concord.

Ellis, M.  December 24, 1857.   Meadow near Thomas M. Balcom and Charles Gordon’s land on Bedford Road. William Haggarty helped with this one.  Thoreau was paid $1.50.

Elwell, Davis, Concord on Nashawtuck Hill.  December 30, 31, 1856; Jan. 1, 4, 1857.  Var Jan. 7 and Jan. 1O 1058.  The bill was $18.00.  This farm has played an interesting part in Concord’s his­tory, as it was Major Simon Willard’s, a founder of Concord, and later Dr. Joseph Lee’s, the English sympathizer who was kept a prisoner on this farm during the Revolution.  Thoreau’s friend Witherell helped William Wheeler, the owner during some of this time.  The map of the locality is important as it shows Egg Rock, Indian Field, Pine Plain, Muster Field, Dove Rock, (Barrett’s) Old Mill, Grist Mill, Colburn’s land, Dodd’s, Damon’s, McKay’s, and Dodge’s Brook.

Emerson, Nehemia.  May 1850 Haverhill, Massachusetts. Thoreau went to Haverhill several times to make surveys.

Emerson, Ralph Waldo.  Woodlots in Concord and Lincoln.  December 1857.  Lot by Walden Pond, 13 Acres 80 rods.  Cyrus Hubbard had surveyed this land for Emerson December 16, 1848.  According to a letter written by Emerson to his brother William, October 4, 1844, he had bought the land from some men whom he met while walking in the woods1.  The next day he went back with some “well beloved gossips” and they persuaded him to buy about 3 more acres from Heartwell Bigelow to protect his investment.  This is the land on which Thoreau built his house.

Woodlots bought of Abel Moore and John Hosmer November 29, 1845 and surveyed by Thoreau in the Winter 1849-50.  He had divided the 41 acre plot into 35 woodlots, and he sold an acre to the new Fitchburg Railroad who wanted to buy more, but Emerson quoted them a price of $100 an acre according to his Manuscript Journal fragment Trees, page 33.

March 1850.  December 14, 1857.  January 25, 1858. This lot was south of Walden in Lincoln and was surveyed and the boundaries corrected several times, as it was necessary to adjust the line between Emerson and Charles Bartlett who owned the land East of his.  This had been known as “Samuel Heywood’s Pasture”.

May 23, 1849.  March 15, 1850.  November 7, 1854. Sawmill Woodlot in Lincoln near Sandy Pond Road leading to Flint’s Pond.  Thoreau enticed Emerson to buy this land by showing him a beautiful water­fall and rare flowers there.

November 30 – December 3, 1857.  Goose and Walden Pond Lots.  This sketch is important as it shows the road leading from Lincoln to Concord Meeting, the present Route 126, as it was in 1797 when the land belonged to Duncan Ingraham, “one of the Squires of the village”, and was sold to John Richardson for $533.33.  Land on then East side of the road is shown to have belonged to Brister Freeman, a blackman.  Thoreau says: “Brister Lot, now the state’s because the owner, Brister, was a foreigner”.  This pinpoints Emerson’s land between Richardson and John Potter along the “Road to Wayland”, or Walden St.  A second survey of Emerson’s own land here was originally survey­ed in December 1848 by Cyrus Hubbard, and copied by Thoreau, December 1857.  At the bottom, Thoreau has made a note that this land belonged to William Savage in 1791.

April 30, 1860.  Thoreau made a quick sketch of the land South of Walden that burned “last March”.

5 acres 56 rods on the edge of Walden.  This fragment shows the railroad and the “fence” which skirted the pond on the west side.

January 12, 1858.  Israel Billings of Lincoln sold some woodlots near Sandy Pond Road to Nathan and Cyrus Stow in 1829 and Cyrus Hubbard made a survey of the land.  Thoreau copied part of it to straighten the line between the Stows and Ralph Waldo Emerson‘s lot that contained his waterfall.

There is also a small sketch of a plot with no date or any significant marks except the statement that the “level area is 78 rods.”  The interesting fact is the drawing of what could be a small build­ing with a smaller one beside it that might possibly be a proposed sketch for his “house” at Walden.  The paper on which it is made says: R.W.E.’s Land”.

September 16, 1859.  Bedford Road land near P.J. Sexton and J. B. Moore.  The fee was $2.00.

Everett, George.  See survey of Cyrus Stow, Walden Street, as it shows this man’s property.  He is the man who also bought the farm of Edmund Hosmer on Sandy Pond Road.

Farrar, Willard T.  April 30, 1857.  Woodlot near Goose Pond near George Heywood and Wyman lots which became R. W. Emerson’s.  Farrar paid $2.75 for this survey.  He was the grandson of Amos Wright, and probably lived at the corner of Sudbury and Corner Roads (Old Road To Nine Acre Corner).

Fuller, Virgil.  December 16, 1852.  Farm in the north part of town on Monument Street near Liberty Street as it shows N. Munroe’s and Minot Pratt’s land. Perez Blood had surveyed this land earlier, and Thoreau’s notes say that he should have followed Blood’s marks, as they were right.  Henry L. Shattuck and Joshua Buttrick both lived on this land at one time.

Gilson, Robert D.  May 9, 1857.  Littleton Mill. This is a very nice survey that shows the mill wheel and works.  George Brooks may have bought this as he paid Thoreau $4.00 for the survey.

Goose Pond Lots. See R. W. Emerson.

Gordon, Charles.  March 23, 1858.  Farm on Bedford Road near the intersection of Old Bedford Road. The fee was $4.50.  Gordon was related to the Farmer family of Lowell Road and owned a woodlot near Bateman’s Pond, Lowell Road.

Gourgas, Frances R.  April 30, 1853.  Land conveyed by E. R. Hoar probably from the Agricultural Society land on Bedford Street between New Hill Burying Ground and Reuben Brown’s.

Green, Marie.  August 31, 1854.  Lincoln Houselot between Tower Road and Lincoln Road.

Hale, (?). January 18, 1853.  Stow woodlot for Turner Bryant.  Thoreau mentions in his Journal for August 26, 1856, that Ai Hale of Carlisle had the right kind of dog for keeping pigs.

Hales Map (1830) of Lincoln, Mass.  Thoreau made a copy of this map made by John G. Hales, Fayette Street, Boston, who also made one of Concord that was used in the History of Concord by Lemuel Shattuck in k835.

Hapgood, J.  June 20, 1850.  Acton, Mass.  Road from house to Acton Center, north of present Route 2. Thoreau returned the next year to compare the level of Hapgood’s cellar-bottom to his garden, which was being flooded because Robbins and Wetherbee were keeping the water from the Nashoba Brook back.  All of these are mentioned on his survey.  Nashoba Brook flows into Loring’s or Warner’s Pond.

Hapgood, Simon.  Acton, Mass, woodlot cut 1853-54, and the survey made Dec. 15, 1853 for George Brooks.  Joseph Brabrook is also mentioned.

Harrington, Joseph.  May 23, 1859.  Small plot of land in the western part of Concord near the land of John Brown and the Damon Farms.

Hawthorne, Nathaniel.  August 20, I860.  Estate on Lexington Road.  This shows two pieces of land and measures about 20 acres in all.  Thoreau makes a note that there is a hedge of Osage Orange.

Heywood, George.  April 30, 1857.  Lincoln and Concord woodlots.  These lots had been in the Heywood family since the 1700’s and Cyrus Hubbard had surveyed some of them before Thoreau.  See Willard T. Farrar and R. W. Emerson.

Hoar, Edward S.  March 27, 28, 31, and April, I860. Lincoln Farm.  This farm was very near Mt. Misery, James Baker’s houselot, Garfield, and Frederic Hayden.  On the back of this survey is written “Snelling Far, South Lincoln.”

Hoar, Samuel.  April 5, 1854.  Survey of Woodlots in Concord and Carlisle.  The Poplar Hill map is for land on the hill behind the Bullet Hole House and opposite the Old Manse on Monument Street in Concord, near Great Meadows.  The other was in the North part of the present Easterbrook Woods area.  See Journal for this date for Henry’s com­ment.  One of the Hoars bought land near Factory Quarter near Stow Road and land of William Brown from James Hayward and Thoreau surveyed it June 5, 1854.  Hoar had a pond on his land and it was known by his name for many years.

Holbrook, Joseph.  May 12, I860.  Boundary line between Moses Prichard and Holbrook on Main Street almost opposite the Concord Free Public Library. Holbrook’s house is on the site of the house of common entertainment belonging to William Buss in 166O.  This survey shows that the common garbage disposal of that day was the pig for Thoreau includes the “piggery”. • He charged .25 for this one » Holbrook also owned land in Great Meadows and part of Frosty Poplar Hollow near Gowing’s Swamp and Copan.

Holden, Silas.  Houselot on Bedford Road near Mary Rice1 and the Meeting House that was later turned around to become the Catholic Church on the Common.

Holden, Tilly.  December 9, 1854.  7 1/2 Acre Woodlot which was part of the land formerly surveyed for Amos and Noah Wheeler, November 3, 1853, lying near the north part of Nut Meadow Brook on Sudbury and Old Marlborough Roads.

Hosmer, Abel.  April 4, 1854.  Acton Woodlot near the railroad, road to Stow, Jessie Willis, George Wright, Joel Conant, (?) Adams, Asa Parker and the area just west of the Damon Mill land.

Hosmer, Cyrus.  December 28, 1857.  White pine woodlot by Dugan Desert, and “partly oak” lot north of the road surveyed- January 21, 1858 and cut for wood sold to Warner of the Pail Factory.

Hosmer, Edmund.  June 17, 18, 21, 1851.  Farm on Sandy Pond Road.  There are several copies of this, two are owned by the Library.  These help to identify the location of James Wright’s land, Mrs. Heartwell Bigelow’s, Cyrus Stow’s, F. S. Gourgas, Abiel Heywood, Augustus Tuttle, and the edge of the Ministerial Lot.  Hosmer had bought of the early Prescott family, sold to George Everett, then to William H. Devens, Asa Calef, and the Roots.  Hosmer bought the old Hunt property on Lowell Road near the bridge, and sold some farm land to R. W. Emerson, June 6, 1855, in the western part of Concord.

Hosmer, Jesse.  Spring of 1850.  This farm was located near Barrett’s Mill Road and the present Route 2, at the foot of Annursnack Hill and had belonged to the Cummings family very early.  It contained more than one hundred acres, and shows the road leading to G. M, Barrett’s.  Thoreau said: “First piece surveyed with my compass though with a tape.”

Hosmer, John.  February 5, 1851.  Woodlot that had been part of the Charles Miles land near Hollowell Place on the River.

Meadow and woodlots in the westerly part of Concord, beyond the Pail Factory, June 3 and 4, 1856 about 25 acres in all.

October 29, 1859.  This 33-acre woodlot near Union Turnpike (Elm St.) was lotted off by Thoreau and shows neighbors Dennis, A. Hosmer, and E. Wood. The bill was for $7.00, and was recorded as “not paid”.

Hosmer, Luther.  May 3, 1851.  Thoreau laid out a road from his house near the road to Sudbury through land of James P. Brown to Marlboro Road at Thomas Wheeler’s.

Hosmer, Silas.  May 15, 1852.  Houselots on Bedford Street next to Mary Rice and bounded on the east by land of C. B. Davis.  In the Journal, Thoreau says that in 1668 the Town had a herd of .fifty cattle pasture here.

Hosmer, John and Abel Moore.  1849-50.  Field Notes say: “On or near the railroad in Walden Woods.  Three lots, notes lost”.  Some of these notes have been found.  I believe these lots’ were adjacent to the 41 acres that R. E. Emerson bought from Moore and Hosmer in 1845, the site of the House at Walden.

Hosmer, John and Moore, Abel.  December 1857.  This woodlot was copied from Cyrus Hubbard’s plan of 1842, and lay west of the railroad near Fair Haven, between Well Meadow and Pleasant Meadow.  Isaac Brooks, Cyrus Hubbard, Ephraim Wheeler, Darius Hubbard owned land nearby.

How, Elizabeth.  April 1853.  Haverhill, Mass.  land.

Hubbard, Ebenezer.  December 1857.  This woodlot was between Walden Street and Cambridge Turnpike and later became part1 of Fairyland in 1835. The sur­vey shows the abutters as follows:  Josh Jones, the Ministerial Lot, John Richardson, Francis Jarvis, Cyrus Warren, N.J., (?) Haywood, Abel Brooks, Reuben Rice, Brister and the Poor Farm on Walden Street.

see: http://www.concordlibrary.org/scollect/Thoreau_surveys/68.htm

Hunt, Humphrey.  December 21, 23, 24, 1852.  This is an interesting woodlot and pasture near Easterbrook Woods.  Barzillai Hudson and others had Thoreau survey it, and paid him $14.25.  Abner Buttrick had 8 acres, and Jonas Melvin had 11 acres nearby. It identifies Yellow Birch Cellar Hole that was begun by Old Henry Flint and abandoned before the house was finished, Old Carlisle Road (called the New One), Bridle Road (called the Old One), Brooks Clark’s Birch Pasture near Lime Kiln, and the mill site, which may have been part of the Thoreau pencil business.

Hunt, Thomas Ford.  October 17, 1853.  Houselot on Monument Street near Charles W. Goodnow, and Lorenzo Eaton.

Jarvis, Francis.  December 23, 1856.  Northwest side of Walden Street opposite Brister’s lot.  This had been part of Stratton’s land earlier, and appears again on the survey of Samuel Staples’s plot of Dec. 8, 1857.

Kettell, (John?). April 8 and 9, 1858.  Lexington Road farm bought by Samuel Staples.  At one time, 1849, this farm had belonged to Isaac Watts, and Thoreau surveyed the woodlot northeast of the house on the hill behind and divided it into 52 lots for wood.  I believe that was Thoreau’s first survey recorded in the Field Notes Book.  The farm stretched from Lexington Road across the field to Cambridge Turnpike and then to the Mill Brook. It shows the location of land belonging to Sexton, George Heywood, C. B. Davis, Cyrus Warren, Shannon, Richard Messer, John B. Moore, and the surroundings. Thoreau hurt himself seriously one day when he was building a woodshed on this land which he records in his Journal for October 4, 1857.

See: http://www.concordlibrary.org/scollect/Thoreau_surveys/74.htm

Keyes, John.  April 24, 1857.  Pasture belonging to Dennis.

Le Grosse, John.  January 11 and 12, 1853.  Westford Road.  There are three pieces: two farms and a woodlot near the Acton line.  D. H. Wetherbee lived nearby, and the road was called the Road to Groton.

Lee, Joseph, Doctor.  January 1, 1857.  See Davis Elwell’s survey.

Lees, Samuel.  May 17, 1859.  Factory Village land near Old Stow Road and the Damon Factory.

Lincoln, Mass.  Copied map.  Plan of town by John G. Hales, 1830, who made maps for many of the towns in Massachusetts.  See New England Historical and Genealogical Register, January 1975, page 23, for an article about these maps.

Lord, Thomas.  April 12, 1851.  Factory Village land between Factory Road and Boxboro Road con­taining 29 Acres.  See location on Damon surveys.

Loring, David. October 16, 17, 18, 1851.  The Field Notes Book says that he did not use the chain at all, and that he found the bounds and lotted off the area near Abiel Heywood, and Wright’s long lot.  In his Journal for these days, he recorded that he saw the Indian Ditch, so called, and referred to a survey of the area made by Stephen Hosmer for Thomas Jones in 1766. Thoreau’s bill was for $15.00, but he was paid only $10.00.

December 16, 1850.  Plans for a cow barn to be built in Northboro, Mass.  Stanchion for cows on the same scale as the barn.

May 20, 1854, rerun May 1855.  Rough plan of land near Depot in Concord, Frances Monroe and Rail Road.

September 17, 1856.  Houselot on Main Street between John Brown, Jr., and E. R. Hoar through to Concord River showing R. C. MacKay near river, and Samuel Hoar behind Brown.  The Field Notes say that he surveyed this lot for George Brooks. The back of the survey reads: Samuel Hoar now.

David.  September 13, 1856.  Texas Street land. This 18 acre lot was near William Monroe, Henry Wheeler, Cyrus Hubbard, William W. Wheildon, Nathan Brooks, John Thoreau, and the discontinued Road that went from Main Street near the present Belknap Street.

Loring, George.  September 15, 1852.  Pistern or lead pipe machine designed for the Lorings, as they were makers of lead pipe.  This survey shows a versatility that we haven’t seen before.

McCafferty, James.  March and April 1851.  This house lot and farmland was on Virginia Road east of where Thoreau was born.  James was the grandfather of our present Postmaster Edward McCafferty.

MacKay, T. Bernard.  May 25, 1852.  Land on Main Street between W. E. Channing and Frances Monroe. This land was sold to Grindall Reynolds, June 5, 1858.

Merrick’s Pasture.  January 10, 1857.  Surveyed for Daniel Shattuck and shows the land of Nehemiah Ball, Moses Prichard, Simon Brown.  It was probably named for Tilly Merrick who married Sally Minot and lived on Main Street near the present Sudbury Road.  This had been Reverend Peter Bulkeley’s “Calf Pasture” when Concord was settled.

Mill Dam Company.  April 30, 1853.  There are three of these that show the land with buildings, additions, and elevations.  The Mill Brook is shown here as Bound-In Brook under the present

Andersen’s Store on the Mill Dam.  His work continued for Thoreau in October and November of 1855.

Ministerial Lot.  November 14 through 25, 1851.  This land was in the Southwest part of Concord near Harrington Avenue.  Cyrus Wheeler had a woodlot South of this that was cut in 1857-8, and Thoreau recorded in the Field Notes that the Northeast arid the South side of this were cut in 1858-9.

Ministerial Lot in the South East part of Concord. December 8 and 9, 1851.  This forty acre plot be­tween Cambridge Turnpike and Walden Streets was lotted off by Thoreau and the wood sold to the following people in Concord: John McKeen, Nathan Brooks, Aaron A. Kelsey, George Brooks, Col. Daniel Shattuck, Reuben Brown, Richard Barrett, Charles B. Davis, Moses Prichard, Addison G. Fay, Patrick MacManners, Dr. Josiah Bartlett, Col. Charles Holbrook, R. A. Messer, and Jonathan Farwell.

Minot, George.  August 30, 31, I860.  Plan of land on the Mill Brook consisting of 7 acres.  An inter­esting note made by Thoreau says the land was sold by John Whiting to Abel Prescott in 1746, and that it bounds S.W. on Ebenezer Hubbard, S.E. on Deacon Samuel Merriam, N. and N.E. on the Mill Brook, and W. on Whiting’s own land called then Dam Pasture. Shannon, Mrs. Bigelow, Collier, and Warren are shown as abutters.

Monroe, Francis.  August 17, 1850.  Land near Depot. At this time, Thoreau was busy trying to lay out a road from the west end of the Mill Dam to the Rail Road Station.  This proposal is the present Middle Street from Academy Lane to Thoreau.  The old Concord Academy Building stood on the spot so it had to be moved to the south side of the new street.  Landowners here were William Wheildon, Hartwell Bigelow, William Monroe, and Henry Wheeler There is also a copy of the official Rail Road notice of the acceptance of the street dated March 1851.

Monroe, William, Jr.  December 4, 1860.  This land was on Monument Street on the east side next to Daniel Shattuck, and Francis Gourgas.  This is the man who gave the funds to build and maintain the Concord Free Public Library.

Moore, Abel and John Hosmer.  December 1857.  Woodlot copied from Cyrus Hubbard’s survey of 1842.  It shows the Pond Hole, Darius Hubbard’s land, Ephraim Wheeler’s, and Isaac Brook’s.  Thoreau lotted off some of this land for firewood, Abel’s son, John Moore, inherited the land.  See also Hosmer, John.

Moore, John B.  April 1850, February 10, 11, 12, 18, 19, 1853, May 3, 1859, April I860.  Land on Lexington Road.  Site of the home of Dr. Prescott of Revolutionary fame.  Moore bought swampland and drained it to reclaim it for farming.  The February 1853 one shows land sold to E. W. Bull, Nathaniel Hawthorne, A. B. Alcott and Charles Davis.  The land stretched over the hill to Bedford Road and as far east as the Merriam land on Old Bedford Road.- The whole lot was sold at auction, May 10, 1860.

Morse, Rufus.  August 17, 1859.  Lincoln, Mass

Morse, Rufus.  August 17, 1859.  Lincoln, Mass.  Land near the Hosmer-Moore land above.  According to the Farrar Book off Houses, some of the Rufus Morse land had belonged to Thomas Goble in 1640.

Nixon, Warren.  December 14, 1857.  Lincoln land near-Emerson Bartlett land.

Parks Schulyer.  April 12, 1854.  20 acres of woodlot in Lincoln.

Prescott, George.  June 1856.  Thoreau ran a line for Prescott near the Pail Factory to show the boundary of the woodlot he had bought from David Loring on the west side of Derby.

Prichard, Moses. ‘May 12, I860.  Main street boundary between Holbrook and Prichard.  The bill from Thoreau was $1.50.  Prichard’s woods skirted the river and were furnished with winding walks and rustic seats in order to form an attractive and cool retreat.

Raynolds, John.  October 19, 1852.  Land on Sudbury Road between the home of Abel Brooks and Deacon David Wheeler.  Cyrus Stow sold this land to Raynolds.

May 17, 1853.  Land in the southwest part of Concord near John Potter and (E. J.) Hayden, probably on Fair Haven Road near Sudbury Road.  Thoreau says “surveyed outlines (after Rice), May 24.”  On the back of the survey, he wrote: “J. Raynolds”.

Reynolds, Jabez.  October 28, 1851.  See Stow, Cyrus, Walden Street.  Jabez was in the butchering business and lived in the house on the corner of Walden and Everett Streets.  The back room of his house had been owned by the Stows for many years, had been moved from Lexington Road, and was used by the Thoreaus’ in the pencil business at one time.

Reynolds, Doctor Joseph.  March 17, 1854.  Lowell Road houselot near the present Bow Street.  This may have been the land of John Stacy that he had to sell in 1853.

Lincoln land near Rice, William.  January 20, 1858. Lexington Road.

Richardson, John.  November 12, 1853.  Lincoln and Waltham woodlots surveyed for the heirs.

November 30 to December 3, 1857.  Goose and Walden Pond woodlots.  These plots were on both sides of the present Route 126 near Walden.  Some of it became Emerson’s (q.v.)

December 3 to 8, 1857.  Fair Haven woodlots, west of the railroad near land of Rufus Morse, Abel Moorer, John Hosmer, and James Baker.

December 23 and 24, 1857.  Walden Pond lot.  John Richardson, Esq. built the Town House on the Common on the West side, and swapped it in 1789 with the County for the hotel which was on the spot later occupied by the Middlesex Hotel.

River Meadow Association.  Thoreau was asked to survey the river from East Sudbury to Billerica, a distance of 22.15 miles, and to make a chart of the building of all the bridges on it.  The facts obtained were used at the Supreme Judicial Court trial against the Middlesex Canal in January I860. He copied Llaommi Baldwin’s second map of May 1834 surveyed and drawn originally by B. F. Perham.

Shattuck, Daniel.  June 19, 1850.  Concord cottage houselot on Main Street next to John Thoreau’s.

October 6, 1856.  Added Monroe Street (now Thoreau Street) to above.  The schoolhouse was moved to Main and River Streets when the school districts were given up.

September 11, 1854.  Woodlot near Great Meadows showing land of Col. Holbrook, who lived opposite the Concord Free Public Library. Great Meadows land seems to have been owned by many men and the grasses used to mulch crops.

May 19, 1857.  Lot near Peter Hutchinson’s Field by Sleepy Hollow.

January 10, 1857.  Merrick’s Pastures, west of Lowell Road on River.

September 29, I860.  Estate that has become Colonial Inn on the Common near Monument Street. It shows as neighbors Joseph Reynolds, Maria Thoreau, John Keyes, Mrs. Charles W. Goodnow.

November 13, I860.  Houselot on Monument Street showing William Monroe, Jr. on East, Nathan Barrett on the West, Emeline Barrett also on West, and Jack Garrison in back.  Someone has written on the back:” Now, 1874, Lorenzo Eaton and M. Murray.”

Shattuck, Henry L.  December 16, 1852.  Monument Street farm which is the same as survey of Joshua Buttrick and Virgil Fuller.

Spring, Marcus.  November 1856.  Estate at Eagleswood, Perth Amboy, N. J.   Alcott asked Thoreau to go there, and Thoreau made a detailed map of the area showing houses and school buildings.

Stacy, John.  See Dr. Joseph Reynolds.

Stacy, Sarah.  August 3, 1853.  Woodlot in Framingham.

Staples, Samuel.  April 8 and 9, 1858.  Thoreau surveyed the Kettell Farm (which see) and charged him $11.50. http://www.concordlibrary.org/scollect/Thoreau_surveys/74.htm

December 8, 1857.  Woodlot near Walden Pond showing the land of John Potter, Francis Jarvis, heirs of John Richardson, and Brister.  According to Jarvis1 deed of 1778, the land had belonged to Sarah Hodgman, who was probably a daughter of Joseph Stratton, and Thoreau believed that Staples bought the seven acres from Joseph Merriam.

Stow, Beck (Rebecca?). October 19, 1853.  The Field Notes Book says that the woodlot was cut in 1854-55.  In the Journal for this date, Thoreau says: “..Thinking to step upon a leafy shore from a rail, I got into water more than a foot deep and had to wring my stockings out..”  He was very fond of this swamp on Bedford Road, and locates it on one of his surveys of Bedford Street opposite Moore’s Swamp.

Stow, Cyrus.  November 14, 1850.  Woodlot lotted off into 28 lots and cut in 1850-51 lying near Ministerial Swamp.

February 27 and March 3, 1851.  Pine Hill woodlot in the East part of Concord in the rear of Joseph Merriam’s house off Old Bedford Road.  The bill for this is in the Thoreau Collection at Middlebury College.

February 20-27, 1851.   Bedford swampland consisting of 21 acres for which Thoreau consulted an old deed of 1748, and a survey made by Thaddeus Davis in 1799.

April 18 & 19, 1851.  Sudbury Road (Back Road) and Stow Street in which Thoreau lays out the new street (Stow) and divided the land into new house lots up to present Hubbard Street.  This bill is also owned by Middlebury College.

July 3, 1852.  Fair Haven Hill woodlot near Deep Cut on the railroad.

October 28, 1851.  Estate on Walden Street (present Home for the Aged). There are three fragments of this lot showing a detailed sketch of the grounds around the house, the fence, which Thoreau designed and probably built, and the yard.  The detailed one shows the house on the corner of Everett Street that was built on the site of the old Heywood Tavern and was occupied by William Buttrick, George Everett, and Grace Tuttle.  The Field Notes say that he also ran a line between Cyrus and Nathan Stow’s land, but we do not have a copy.

January 12, 1858.  Boundary line between the Stows and R. W. Emerson’s land near Sandy Pond in Lincoln that shows Emerson’s “falls”. On May 9 and 18, 1859, Thoreau made another survey of this and called it Chestnut Field Lot bought of Abel Brooks by Stow in 1843.  He carefully noted a rare plant on the Cart Path.

Surette, Louis A.  March 31, 1857.  This is a small cemetery lot, which Thoreau plotted.

Temple, Cyrus.  October 3, 1860.  Meadow land north of Spencer Brook and Samuel Barrett’s land on Barrett’s Mill Road.  Temple sold four acres to Samuel Barrett.

Thoreau, John.  May 25, 1850.  Yellow House Lot bought of Daniel Shattuck on Main Street near the corner of the present Thoreau Street.  Thoreau mentions in his Journals that there were a Mountain Ash and a Pitch pine tree in their yard.

March 30, 1857. John bought some land from Julius M. Smith, which he had used as a garden, and Thoreau allowed him to remove his crops. The Library owns a manuscript that describes this land.

Tuttle, Augustus.  August 25, 26, 29, 1853.  Large 92 acre farm on Cambridge Turnpike at Hawthorne Lane. James Wright was next east.  The farm was bought by Orlando E. Patch and used as a dairy and later Wilmot R. Jones ran the Mill Brook School there.

June 21, 1855.  Lincoln woodlot of 2 acres showing location of land of Cyrus Smith, Nancy Smith, and Asa White.

Walden Pond.  1846.  This is the best known of Thoreau’s surveys, and the Library is fortunate to have three copies.  On them he shows Bare Peak, Weeded Peak, Sandbar, and the site of his House.  The area is listed as 61 acres 03 rods, circumference 1.7 miles, greatest length 175 ½ rods, and greatest depth 102 feet.

Warren, R[ufus?]. May 28, 1860.  The Field Notes say that Warren’s bill was $3.00 for this date, and the Journal says that the woodland was East of Deep Cut near Walden. We do not have this survey.

Watson, Marston.  October 9 to 13, 1854.  Plymouth, Mass.  Henry went to Plymouth to lecture and survey.  See L. D. Seller’s Between Concord and Plymouth regarding Thoreau and his Plymouth friends.

Watts, Isaac.  November 1849.  The survey of this woodlot is one of the earliest in the Field Notes Book.  I think that it was the woods back of the old Kettell place on Lexington Road.  It was divided into 52 lots and cut in 1849-50.

Weston, Daniel.  August 17, 1852.  Woodlot near Flint’s Pond, Lincoln

December 13, 1852.  16 acres.

December 17, 1852.  5 acres shows Elisha Hagar nearby.

Wheeler, Cyrus.  Woodlot cut 1857-58 according to Field Notes that says it was on the South side of the Ministerial Swamp.

Wheeler, Francis. This was cut in 1859-60 and lay North of White Pond Road. Francis, William and Joseph Wheeler lived in this area.

Wheeler, Gardiner.  The Field Notes say that this white pine woodlot was cut in the winter of 1857-8, and Thoreau says he made the survey and the wood was sold to Warner. Probably for his Pail Factory. It lay between Marshall Miles’ and White Pond.

Wheeler, Henry.  June 21, 1852.  David Loring helped Thoreau survey this land near the Railroad, and shows Love Lane, Texas Street, Back Road (Sudbury Road), and land of William Monroe.

Wheeler, Thomas.  April 28, 1856.  This plot was called the ‘”Davis Piece” and consisted of 26 acres between the Old Marlboro Road Guide Post and Williams Road.  Thoreau mentions that it was bought by an Irishman, named David Williams, he thought, for $23.00 an acre.

Houselot. April 30, 1856. Samuel Staples paid $15.00 for this survey. An interesting spot on river is pinpointed here as Elfin Burial Ground.

Ox Pasture.  April and May 5, 1856.  There are two copies of this.  The Larger Ox Pasture was bought by Joseph Derby for $26.00 an acre.  Some of the rest was sold to Daniel Tarbell for $13.00.

Wheeler, William. December 19, 1853. This Corner Spring Lot was sold to William Wheeler by J. P. Brown as a woodlot, and was cut in 1853-54.

White, Charles, April 1853.  Kimball Lot in Haverhill, Mass.

White Pond.  February 17, 1851.  Thoreau made an outline map of the pond which he considered a very beautiful spot, and far less crowded than Walden.

Whitman, Mrs. May 24, 1856.  Haverhill cemetery lots.

Willis, Samuel A. -May 6, 1859.  House and woodlot near Factory Village.  This survey was copied by a later surveyor, William D. Tuttle, April 25, 1864.  Willis paid Thoreau $3.50 according to the Field Notes Book.

Wood, James Barrett.  November 30, 1850.    In the Field Notes Book of Surveys, Thoreau says: “Surveyed a wood-lot for…near the copper mines in the South part of Carlisle, November 30, 1850, he having purchased the wood of Thomas Hale and (?) Bingham of Carlisle.  The distance can be relied on.  The last two bearings are useless being taken after dark. 10 Acres.”



1846, Walden Pond

1849, May 23, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1849, November, Isaac Watts

1849-50 John Hosmer, Abel Moore

1850, March Ralph Waldo Emerson

1850, March 15, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1850, Spring of, Jessie Hosmer

1850, April, John B.Moore

1850, May, Nehemia Emerson

1850, May 25, John Thoreau

1850, June 12, Daniel Shattuck

1850, June 13, Bedford Road

1850, June 20, J. Hapgood

1850, August 17, Francis Monroe

1850, August 30, Concord

1850, 5eptember, Street near Depot

1850, November 14, Cyrus Stowe

1850, December 16, David Loring

1851, February 5, John Hosmer

1851, February 20- 27, Cyrus Stow

1851, Feb. 27 & March 3, Cyrus Stow

1851, March  & April, James McCafferty

1851, April 12, Thomas Lord

1851, April 18- 19, Cyrus Stow

1851, May 3, Luther Hosmer

1851, June 17, 18, 21, Edmund Hosmer

1851, September 15, Concord

1851, September 30, Concord/Acton Town Line

1851, Oct. 16, 17, 18, David Loring

1851, Oct. 20, 21, 22, Reuben Brown

1851, October 28, Cyrus Stow

1851, October 28, Jabez Reynolds

1851, November 14- 25, Ministerial Lot S.W.

1951, December 6, Concord/Carlisle Line

1851, December 6, Samuel Barrett

1851, December 8, 9, Ministerial Lot S.E.

1852, April 23, 24, Jacob Baker

1852, April 26, William Ellery Channing

1852, May 15 Silas Hosmer

1852, May 25, J. Bernard McKay

1852, Hay 26, 28, 29, 31, Noah and Joshua Brooks

1852, July 3, Cyrus Stow

1852, August 17, Daniel Weston

1852, September 15, George Loring

1852, October 19, John Raynolds

1852, October 28, [?] Badger

1852, December 13, Daniel Weston

1852, December 16, Virgil Fuller, Henry L. Shattuck

1852, December 17, Daniel Weston

1853, January, Elijah Davis

1853, January 11, 12, John Le Grosse

1853, January 18, Turner Bryant

1853, January 18, [?] Hale

1853, Feb. 10, 11, 12, 18, 19, John B Moore

1853, April, Elizabeth Howe

1853, April 12, James H. Duncan

1853, April 30, Francis R.Gourgas

1853, April 30, Mill Dam Company

1853, July, Silas Holden (see burying ground)

1853, July, Bedford Road

1853, August 3, Sarah Stacy

1853, August 25, 26, 29, Augustus Tuttle

1853 October 17, Thomas Ford Hunt

1853, October 19 Beck Stow

1853, November 12, John Richardson

1853, December 15, Simon Hapgood

1853, Dec. 19-21, James P. Brown

1854, February 1, Bedford Road

1854, March 17, Joseph Reynolds

1854, April 4, Abel Hosmer

1854, April 5, Samuel Hoar

1854, April 12, Schulyer Parks

1854, May 20, David Loring

1854, August 31, Marie Green

1854, September 11, Daniel Shattuck

1854, Oct. 9-13, Marston Watson

1854, November 6, James Colburn

1854, November 7, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1854, November 9, Tilly Holden

1855, October 31, Mill Dam Company

1855, November (24?)

1856, March 5, George F. Duren

1856, June, George Prescott

1856, June 3, 4, John Hosmer

1856, September 13, David Loring

1856, September 17, David Loring

1856, October 6, Daniel Shattuck

1856, November, Marcus Spring

1856, December 23, Francis Jarvis

1856, December 30, 31

1857, January 1, 4, Davis Elwell

1857, January 10, Daniel Shattuck, Merrick’s Pasture

1857, January 10, Daniel Shattuck

1857, March 30, John Thoreau

1857, March 31, Louis A. Surrette

1857, April 24, John Keyes

1857, April 30, Willard T. Farrar

1857, April 30, George Heywood

1857, May 9, Robert D. Gilson

1857, May 19, Daniel Shattuck

1857, September 22, A. Bronson Alcott

1857, November 30 to December 3, John Richardson

1857, November 30 to December 3, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1857, December, Ebenezer Hubbard

1857, December, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1857, December, Abel Moore & John Hosmer

1857, December 3-8, John Richardson

1857, December 8, Samuel Staples

1857, December 14, Warren Nixon

1857, December 14, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1857, December 22, Caleb Bates

1857, December 24, M. Ellis

1857, December 23, 24, John Richardson

1857, December 25, Mrs. Bigelow

1857, December 28, Cyrus Hosmer

1857, December 29, Abel Brooks

1858, January 12, Cyrus Stow

1858, January 12, Israel Billings

1858, January 12, Cyrus Stow

1858, January 20, William Rice

1858, January 25, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1858, March 23, Charles Gordon

1858, April 8 and 9, John Kettell

1858, April 8 and 9, Samuel Staples

1858, April 12, William D. Brown

1858, June 5, Thomas Brooks

1858, November 22, Heartwell Bigelow

1859, April 18, Stedman Buttrick

1859, May 3, Bedford Road

1859, May 3, John B. Moore

1859, May 6, 7, 13, 14, 16, Edward Damon

1859, May 9 and 18, Cyrus Stow

1859, May 17, Samuel Lees

1859, May 23, Joseph Harrington

1859, June 10, Prescott Barrett

1859, August 17, Rufus Morse

1859, September 16, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1859, October 29, John Hosmer

1859 – 1860, River Meadow Association

1860, March 27, 28, 31, April, Edward S. Hoar

1860, April, John B. Moore

1860, April 30, Ralph Waldo Emerson

1860, May 12, Joseph Holbrook

1860, May 12, Moses Prichard

1860, May 28, Rufus Warren

1860, August 20, Nathaniel Hawthorne

1860, August 30, 31, George Minot

1860, September 29, Daniel Shattuck

1860, October 1, Concord Town

1860, October 3, Cyrus Temple

1860, November 13, Daniel Shattuck

1860 December 4, William Monroe Jr.

Read Full Post »